The Bobby Benedict Scholarship Award provides a full scholarship to the YMCA Northeast Leaders School program. The award is given to one (1) teen leader in a YMCA Leaders Club program and covers the cost of attending the program.
Robert “Bobby” Benedict
As a youth Bobby was diagnosed with Type I diabetes and Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. He worked hard to beat his Lymphoma so he could continue to participate in wrestling, one of his favorite extracurricular activities.
Bobby was an integral part of the regional Leaders Club community. To our teens he was an outstanding adult role model helping to stretch their spirit, mind and body. To our staff he was a beloved friend and mentor. He gave selflessly to help others and fully embodied our YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility.
Bobby passed in 2009 from complications brought on by his fight with Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma and Type I Diabetes. His indomitable spirit and courage reminds us to keep pushing forward no matter what challenges may come our way.
- Eligible to attend the YMCA Northeast Leaders School program;
- Actively engaged and considered a member in good standing at their local YMCA Leaders Club program for a minimum of 6 months;
- Overall grade point average (GPA) of 2.8 for the current school year;
- Consistently role models the YMCA’s core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility;
- Actively engages in volunteer service; and
- Is engage in extra-curricular activities besides the YMCA Leaders Club.
What you need to apply